trilogy WHEN MEN CRY
The symposium When Men Cry the World Shuts Down is the first event in a series exploring male emotionality. Organized, moderated, facilitated, served, and directed by women, the symposium aims to highlight the fact that men are also oppressed by the still prevailing system of patriarchy; while still enjoying many of the privileges. The organizers have recognized that in order to abolish the patriarchy it is crucial to first save men from it and the rest will fall apart by itself. In preparing for the symposium, we found disturbing statistics about how deadly patriarchy is for men (earlier and more violent deaths and more frequent wounding); we discovered that most men are not fully aware of the corrupting privileges they receive; and, most importantly, none of the men approached were willing to be saved (as they perceived this as a submissive position).
In her book The Will to Change, bell hooks writes that patriarchy teaches boys to show no emotion other than anger, and that this anger is directly linked to violence. In this edition of the symposium, we will explore the complexity of the emotional landscape of men in a system that does not nourish their emotions. We will speak to the only men of the many we approached who were willing to join the dialog. And we will try to turn trauma into drama and let the emotions out.
So, expect a lot of talking, drinking, and hopefully some crying.
- Concept by Lea Kukovičič & Sodja Lotker
- Keynote speaker Federico Campagna
- Moderator Eva Neklyaeva
- Guests speakers Julian Hetzel, Primož Bezjak, Juan Carlos Martel Bayod
- Conclusions by Ana Pavlić
- Directed by Lea Kukovičič
- Dramaturgy by Sodja Lotker
- Set design, light design & visuals by Toni Soprano Meneglejte
- Sound by Jure Vlahovič
- Technical director Andrej Petrovčič
- Produced by Alma R. Selimović, Špela Kopitar, Ajda Koloini
- Public relations Tamara Bračič Vidmar, Klara Drnovšek Solina
- Hospitality by Ajda Koloini
- Assistant set designer Monika Pocrnjić
Together with Tanja Radež, Mojca Jug
- Produced by Bunker, Ljubljana
- Co-produced by Prešernovo gledališče Kranj
- In partnership with Stara mestna elektrarna – Elektro Ljubljana, 53. Teden slovenske drame
Supported by Ministry for Culture of Republic of Slovenia, City Municipality of Ljubljana, City Municipality of Kranj
Sponsored by Tektonik, Foculus
Symposium is part of the trilogy WHEN MEN CRY.
3. 3. 2023, symposium When Men Cry the World Shuts Down, Stara mestna elektrarna – Elektro Ljubljana
5. 4. 2023, The Last Hamlet, foreplay, Prešernovo gledališče Kranj
8. 6. 2023, The Last Hamlet, Prešernovo gledališče Kranj
Lea Kukovičič (1994) holds a bachelor’s degree in dramaturgy from AGRFT and a master’s degree in directing from DAMU in Prague – auteur theater and object theater.
She is interested in the game of established social systems – how to establish enough rules to keep the game running while we play it and at the same time – how to break the rules of the.
She is a theater creator, but her work is often enriched and informed by political contemporary visual arts; in her creations she focuses on how art can directly influence society, the economy and politics. She creates temporary collectives of artists and non-artists who rethink and define theater.