THE LAST HAMLET
The Last Hamlet is the last part of the When Men Cry trilogy. The trilogy began with the symposium When Men Cry the World Shuts Down and continued with the crying interventions at the Week of Slovenian Drama, entitled The Last Hamlet, a Prelude. Shakespeare’s Hamlet is one of the most frequently performed texts in the history of theatre, but the value system of Hamlet is not a value system to which we aspire to today, even though the world is still full of Hamlets.
ABOUT THE LAST HAMLET
If the last Hamlet was made, what would he look like? Perhaps it’s too late. Perhaps there have been too many last Hamlets. Or perhaps it’s too soon. “The world is off the rails.” Anachronistic. We’re saving the future from the past. The present from the future. Repetition will save us. Repetition will kill us. Over and over again. And again.
In my dreams, actors cry. On stage. The stage is crying. In my dreams, men cry. They love when they love and hate when they hate. In my dreams they apologize. In my dreams they say:
“This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.”
T. S. Eliot
Everything always starts with family.
Like patriarchy. Like Christianity.
Like a monarchy. Like Hamlet.
And everything always looks the same.
Sodja Lotker Zupanc
September 14th 2023 – Stara mestna elektrarna
September 20th 2023 – Prešernovo gledališče Kranj
September 15th 2023 – Stara mestna elektrarna
September 16th 2023 – Stara mestna elektrarna
June 8th 2023 – Prešernovo gledališče Kranj, preview
- Text: Lea Kukovičič and Wojtek Ziemilski
- Director: Lea Kukovičič
- Actors: Miha Rodman, Živa Selan, Blaž Setnikar, Borut Veselko
- Dramaturgue: Sodja Zupanc Lotker
- Scenography: Zuzana Scerankova
- Costume design: Olga Grubić
- Lighting design: Zuzana Režna
- Choreography: Nataša Živković
- Video: Toni Soprano Meneglejte
- Music selection and sound design: Rok Kovač
- Language consultant: Irena Androjna Mencinger
- Makeup design: Matej Pajntar
- Scenography assistant and technical collaborator: Martin Lovšin
- A crying man: Ciril Roblek
- Producers: Ajda Koloini, Alma R. Selimović
- Public relations: Tamara Bračič Vidmar, Eva Belčič
- Techical staff of Prešeren Theatre Kranj:
- Technical director: mag. Igor Berginc
- Stage and props manager: Dominik Vodopivec
- Whisperer: Iztok Jereb
- Light technician: Nejc Plevnik
- Sound technician: Primož Kuburič
- Hairdresser and makeup artist: Matej Pajntar
- Dresser: Bojana Fornazarič
- Stage technicians: Robert Rajgelj, Boštjan Marčun, Marko Kranjc, Jure Fon
- Technical staff of Bunker, Ljubljana:
- Technical director: Igor Remeta
- Lighting and sound design: Andrej Petrovčič
- Technicians: Manca Vukelič, Duško Pušica, Vid Starman
Co-produced by: Bunker, Ljubljana and Prešernovo gledališče Kranj
Supported by: Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia, City Municipality Ljubljana, City Municipality Kranj
*In the text the quotes by William Shakespear (translation by Oton Župančič, Janko Moder), Jelisaveta Blagojević, Edo Atkins, bell hooks, Filip Mramor, Adam Manthey Steen, Anna Jane Utermøhl Lund, Blanco and Jelica Zupanc are used.