THE LAST LAMENTATION
The Last Lamentation explores traditional Mediterranean mourning practices with strong presence of the vocal element. Whilst Sardinian songs and mourning rituals provided the initial framework of inquiry, the project expanded into a wider Mediterranean space, embedded with suspense, waiting and passing as experiential themes for many migrations and diasporas. Creative practises were informed by proximity of the sea as the space of reception and deposition of bodies, but also as an entity inscribed in the lives of people and their passing. The lamenting voices in Ljubljana will melt with the river as the background water entity. The dark presence of women will pierce through the horizon as the soundscape weaves together abstract mourning and sounds from the environment.
One of the key features of Valentina Medda’s creative practice, which originally stems from visual arts, is its propensity to form links with the local environment, the latter representing either living agents, inorganic nature or mere objects. Medda’s poetics delves into female experiences, their knowledge and practices of nurture and care.
The Last Lamentation was created in co-production of Sardegna Teatro, L’Arboreto – Teatro Dimora residence centre and Bunker, as part of the network Stronger Peripheries: A Southern Coalition.
Premiere: August 25th 2023 at 6 a.m., park Špica – Mladi levi Festival
June 27th 2023, Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
- Direction: Valentina Medda
- Physical score: Valentina Medda
- Dramaturg: Maria Paola Zedda
- Performers: Špela Adam, Nataša Bojanić, Ksenija Brandstätter, Mojca Cej, Alenka Dereani, Romana Humar, Marja Kovanda, Majda Lekše, Špela Majcen, Maja Modrijan, Paulina Pia Rogač, Liza Šimenc, Vesna Škreblin, Lenka Trdina, Manuela Manca, Carla Orrù, Lucia Paulis
- Vocal trainer: Claudia Ciceroni
- Music: Claudia Ciceroni and Alessandro Olla
- Costumes: Filippo Grandulli
- Costume realization: La Matrioska – laboratorio tessile creativo e sociale
- Sound technitian: Jure Vlahovič
- Technical support: Martin Lovšin, Grega Mohorčič
- Local producer: Špela Kopitar
- Co-production: Sardegna Teatro, Bunker, Ljubljana, L’Arboreto – Teatro Dimora
Supported by: Evropska unija – program Ustvarjalna Evropa: Kultura, Stronger Peripheries: A Southern Coalition, Italian Council (2022), Direzione Generale Creatività Contemporanea, Ministero della Cultura, Ministrstvo za kulture RS, Mestna občina Ljubljana
Photo by: Nada Žgank